As the war in Ukraine rages, and millions are impacted and displaced by this conflict, Marks JCH has stepped up with speed, skill and urgency as we receive a growing flow of refugees who have fled Ukraine and arrived with no idea of how they will stay in the US, no idea when and if they can return home, no clear communication with loved ones left behind, and no supports or possessions – they are escaping with the clothes on their backs. In response, Marks JCH has mobilized a Ukraine Crisis Response Center utilizing our three decades of expertise serving immigrants and displaced persons. We are welcoming a steady stream of families fleeing Ukraine seeking safety in the United States and reunification with family and friends in the largest ethnic enclave of Russian and Ukrainian-speaking residents in the country.
JCH in the Press:
Help Us welcome thousands of Ukrainian Refugees and Evacuees to New York City. Marks JCH provides immediate help for those settling into new lives in the US, as well as humanitarian support for organizations in Ukraine. Donate Now >>
We provide the following services and interventions:
- Case management – we confidentially assist individuals and families with applying for public benefits, answering immigration questions, helping with preparing for employment, interpretations/translations, and any other need that may arise.
- Legal support and TPS clinics – partnering with NYLAG, Urban Justice Center and pro-bona attorneys, we refer and help clients obtain a free legal consultation, screen for TPS eligibility, and manage applications to completion.
- Emergency financial help – Marks JCH supports qualified Ukrainian refugee families with funds for food, clothing, toys, academic supplies, newborn products, TPS applications fees and utilities.
- Childcare – after-school and homework help, preschool and early childhood programs, summer day camp, teen programs and trips. Scholarships available.
- English for Speakers of Other Languages – free English classes for adults of all levels. Morning and evening sessions available.
- Vocational training and mentoring services – resume writing help, courses such as Home Health Aid, Accounting, and Medical Billing; job placement opportunities.