First-class begins on September 20th, 2019
- Must be 15 yrs old by the last scheduled date of the course.
- Pre-skills (for both full and review classes):
- Continuously swim 300 yds. demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing.
- Candidates may use front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds
- Classroom and water training
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7-10 feet to retrieve a 10 lb. object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates cannot swim the distance underwater.
- Lifeguarding class and review – 1 session per day and 3 session full course
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.